Community Café Volunteer Cook
Volunteering opportunities for this project are available during:
Description of the role
The Cafe at Northmoor Community Associations runs every Wednesday from 12pm to 2pm. It is volunteer led and each week we have 2 different cooks who are responsible for cooking tasty and nutritious food for up to 20 people. It is a great chance for volunteers to gain valuable work experience, get creative in the and give back to the community.
The café is a not for profit project and as it is only £1 a meal the café provides a great service for people living in the area. As a volunteer cook in the Cafe you will be expected to complete a level 1 hygiene course which we will provide free of charge at the centre.
- Deciding on a recipe each week and compiling a shopping list ensuring sufficient ingredients are bought to serve over 30 people. The ingredients will be bought by the community centre.
- To volunteer from 10am to 2pm and be responsible for cooking either a meat or vegetarian option for up to 30 people.
- Stock taking/ helping in cashing up.
- General duties such as helping set up tables/ washing up/ filling in cleaning rota etc.
- To contribute to the recipe book by adding new recipes on a weekly basis.
Volunteers will need:
- A hands on approach and an ability to cope well under pressure
- To be able to work as a team and good communication skills
- To be able to work within a diverse team of volunteers.
- A positive and can do attitude.
- To be self-motivated and show initiative.
What will you gain?
- Experience working within a diverse community.
- Opportunities for training and development such as food hygiene level 1+2 and nutrition.
- Improved job prospects and employability prospects.
- A rewarding sense of achievement in helping sustain the Café at Northmoor and provide affordable and healthy food for the community.
- A reference satisfactory to 2 months volunteering at Northmoor.